Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Attaching the Ribs

After a brief hiatus on actual assembly to research manufacturing techniques, wood glues and sealants I have started attaching the ribs to the stringer. What really triggered the research into glues is that I attached two sets of ribs to the stringer using Gorilla glue and was really disappointed by how easy the joints broke. So I reassessed the question of what glue to use and decided on slow-drying epoxy to give the strongest possible joint at these key structural intersections. The photos show how each rib set is clamped to the stringer while the epoxy sets up.






It was tricky to figure out how to clamp these ribs in place, but I'm happy with the method I'm using. Right now I have these two same rib sets glued in place with epoxy after sanding the Gorilla glue off the butt joint surfaces. The joint is MUCH stronger now.

2 comments:

  1. Shawn Totally JenningsMarch 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM

    Looking great, Jason! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work Jason! I'm looking forward to following your process as it evolves.

    Here's a link you might find interesting: Complete core assembly of cardboard surfboard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_omkkvxiE

    Pura vida!

    -Jake Felice

    ReplyDelete