Since my last post where I finished the frame I have applied planks to the hull and deck; built up the rails; installed the nose and tail blocks; sanded it all down to a final form; experimented with epoxies; researched bamboo and linseed oil as materials for my next prototype; investigated automation techniques; performed a feasibility analysis; and bought a plunge router to carve out a slot for the center fin box. Phew!
What follows is mostly a photo essay of these activities. Let me know if you have any questions; want to learn more; or go surfing! I can best be reached via email.
The finished frame over the top of the hull planks before gluing them up.
Gluing up the planks for the deck & hull.
Getting the outline.
Figuring out where to put the glue.
Hull planks are now attached with the curvature most noticeable in the "floating" tail.
Time to decorate the workbench.
Ready for action!
The nose squared off with the belt sander to receive the nose block later.
Plank sandwich made with the crusts cut off.
Clamping the first rail lamination.
Yeah, the first rail lamination is done. I got a lot better at this over time doing both sides at once and turning the board on its side so the glue would stop running off.
Ooops! Missed a few steps with the camera, but you can see the finished rail laminations on both sides in the left photo with my combo square for measuring for installing the nose block at right.
Here I'm using a thin piece of wood to make a natural arc outlining the nose.
And here's the rough nose after my trusty jigsaw was done with its work.
After a first pass with the belt sander. Note the Ryobi sponsorship. They make surprisingly good and cheap tools.
I didn't take pictures of the tail block installation, but here you can see the initial blending of the tail into the rails, hull & deck planks. That's my dog Evie wishing I'd pet her more often.
Stay tuned for the next post documenting the final shaping of the board and the installation of the fin box, vent and leash plug...